Company / Business name Search in Kenya – eCitizen Portal
The Company Registry under Attorney General requires all applicants to request for a Business name Search in Kenya from eCitizen Portal.
Currently, It takes one(1) day for the business name search to be processed.
Before you perform a Company / Business name Search in Kenya it is important to note the following
- Business with the word “Enterprises” at the end cannot use Initials e.g M.K and Bob Enterprises
- Names with the word “Foundation” must be registered as Companies limited by guarantee
- Names with “Groups” , “projects” and “Holdings” must be limited.(Agiza group limited)
- Names with “Universities” must be limited. (Agiza University limited)
- Single words are not accepted (Agiza)
- Offensive or abusive words are not allowed either. Offensive words in vernacular (mother tongue) are not allowed either.
- Political names e.g (Nairobi youth alliance) are not allowed
- Numerics are not allowed not unless its the current year eg (2015)
- Names starting with the word “Kenya” are only reserved for the government.
- Names with ‘Church’ and ‘Ministry or Ministries’ are not allowed
- Names with “Trust”, “Foundation”, Programmes are not allowed
- The Registrar of Names does not register clubs
- Names with “Relief” are not allowed
- Names with “welfare”, Organization, Association, are not allowed.
- Only one name to be submitted per application. applications with more than one name search will be rejected.
- Modifying an existing business name is not allowed. eg. Adding Africa, Kenya, East Africa or changing the spelling eg Exotic to Ezotic or Esotic.
- Business names will only be processed from Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm excluding public holidays.
- Applications without appropriate passport photos will be rejected.
How to perform a Company / Business name Search in Kenya through eCitizen Portal
- First and foremost, you should have already registered for eCitizen services through the eCitizen portal.
- Having registered, login to your account and select the ‘ Office of The Attorney General and Department of Justice’ tab
- On new window, click on ‘Make Application’
- Choose ‘Name Search – Company / Business’
- Read the instructions as outlined above
- Click on ‘Apply Now’
- Choose the business entity, Fill the name you want to search, provide a description and click ‘Proceed’
- Review your application and submit the details
- On the new window, choose the payment option to complete the search request
- Wait for a reply fro Registrar of companies
Watch the video tutorial below on how to perform a Company / Business name Search in Kenya through eCitizen Portal
Company / Business Name Search in Kenya contacts
For queries regarding payment kindly call this number 0708206206.