NHIF Application Form Download, Registration Online, Accredited Hospitals, Payroll Byproduct Pay Online, NHIF Mpesa Paybill no, Contacts, membership no, hospital Codes
NHIF Kenya conducts NHIF Application for all eligible members from both the formal and informal sector. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary.
To register with NHIF Kenya as a member, fill in the NHIF Members Registration Form. Download Forms Here
NHIF Application – Requirements to become an NHIF Member
Who is eligible?
- Who is a *resident in Kenya
- Has attained the age of 18 years. (No age limit after the age of 18 years)
- Whose total income from salaried or self-employment is more than Kshs. 1,000 per month or Kshs. 12,000 per year.
- Drawing an income from Kenya
- Working under contract or casual terms of employment
- It also includes voluntary contributors
* This includes foreign visitors permitted to work or study in Kenya
What do I need to bring?
- Copy of National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
- Copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (excludes self employed/voluntary contributors)
- Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependants if applicable)
- Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependants
- Copies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable)
- Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependants if applicable)
- Copy of passport
- Coloured passport photo
Submit the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category
NHIF Registration Forms for Employers
Requirements for NHIF Registration for Employers
- Certificate of Registration
- PIN Certificate
To register as an employer or organized group, fill in the NHIF Registration Form for Employers. Download Forms Here
NHIF Accredited Hospitals for civil servants and Disciplined Forces
Listed below please find the updated outpatient healthcare providers who will offer outpatient care to members of the Civil Service and Disciplined services and their declared defendants. Choice to preferred medical facilities starts from 23rd November 2015 to 23rd December 2015.
List of NHIF Accredited Hospitals in Nairobi and NHIF hospital Codes
NHIF has contracted hospitals under three Categories; A, B & C, to provide this in-patient medical cover and partial cover for surgical cases in some of these hospitals.
- Under Category A (government hospitals), members would be able to enjoy full and comprehensive cover for maternity and medical diseases including surgery. In short, they will not need to pay for anything on admission provided they are fully paid up members of NHIF.
- Under contract Category B (private and mission) hospitals members will enjoy full and comprehensive cover but where surgery is required, the contributor may be required to co-pay.
- Under Category C (private) members will continue with the current system where NHIF pays specified daily benefits under the current arrangements.
Follow link for a comprehensive List of NHIF Accredited Hospitals in Nairobi and NHIF hospital Codes
NHIF Payroll Byproduct – NHIF Pay Online – NHIF Online Remittance – NHIF Online Payment
Video of How to make NHIF Payroll Byproduct pay online
National Hospital Insurance Fund intends to capture the amounts deducted from every employee every month to ensure faster delivery of services to all the members and their dependants.
This is done by way of employers submitting to NHIF Kenya a list of their employee’s brief details such as name, national/passport id etc, together with the respective rate each employee should be deducted. All this is done online for faster and efficient service delivery to all.
NHIF Kenya has introduced a far more efficient & faster method of collecting employers monthly payroll byproducts to NHIF via the Byproduct system.
Due to the different types of software applications that employers use to capture their payrolls, we suggest that you use a standardized software application to capture your monthly NHIF byproduct such as Microsoft Excel.
Rather than sending hard copy documents or email of the same to NHIF Kenya, you can just register and upload it once you login. This makes processing faster and reduces the chances of human error.
To submit NHIF Payroll Byproduct Online follow this link
Video of NHIF Application of Payroll Byproduct / Pay Online
NHIF Premium Rates
Below are our premium rates categorized by various monthly income brackets.
|Gross Income (Kshs)
Monthly Premium (Kshs)
|6,000 – 7,999||
|8,000 – 11,999||
|12,000 – 14,999||
|15,000 – 19,999||
|20,000 – 24,999||
|25,000 – 29,999||
|30,000 – 34,999||
|35,000 – 39,999||
|40,000 – 44,999||
|45,000 – 49,999||
|50,000 – 59,999||
|60,000 – 69,999||
|70,000 – 79,999||
|80,000 – 89,999||
|90,000 – 99,999||
|100,000 and above||
|Self Employed (special)||
How to pay for NHIF using Mpesa – NHIF Pay Online – NHIF Online Remittance – NHIF Online Payment
To pay via your mobile phone (enabled with Mpesa service) follow these simple steps:
- Select the Pay Bill option
- Enter NHIF Business no. or NHIF Paybill no. – Type in 200222
- Enter NHIF a/c no – Type in contributor’s National Identity Number
- Enter amount – Type in the amount you wish to contribute
- Enter pin – Type in your Mpesa Pin
- Confirm all details are correct then press OK
You will receive a confirmation SMS from Mpesa immediately.
NHIF Business no. / NHIF Paybill no.
NHIF Business no. or NHIF Paybill no is 200222
NHIF account number / NHIF a/c no.
NHIF a/c no is your Kenya National ID number
NHIF membership no.
This is the number written on your NHIF Card
These are NHIF Mpesa Transaction Charges
|Min. Amount (Ksh)||Max. Amount (Ksh)||Charge (Ksh)|
NHIF Contributions & Deductions
Formal sector employees’ contributions are deducted and remitted to the National Hospital Insurance Fund by their employers. This is done by Cheque or through E-banking.
For members under the voluntary category, they pay Kshs.500 per month (Kshs.6000 per annum). For those in formal employment, contributions are made as per their income.
How to get your NHIF Statement Online / via your mobile phone
- Compose a new sms
- Type the letters “ID”, a space, then your ID number (or passport number if applicable) e.g ID 12345678
Send to 21101
Note: Charge for this service is Kshs 10 only.
Payment of Claims by National Hospital Insurance Fund
Claims are submitted by hospitals directly to NHIF Kenya after the contributors have been discharged from the hospitals. The claims are examined by the National Hospital Insurance Fund to ensure validity before payment.
A claim can however be rejected and the hospital informed accordingly to incorporate either the missing documents or to address the abnormalities identified.
The National Hospital Insurance Fund strives to pay claims within 14 days upon receipt of the claim from the hospitals. Members who opt to clear the bills with the hospital may launch a general claim directly to NHIF for reimbursement.
NHIF Contacts / National Hospital Insurance Fund contacts
National Hospital Insurance Fund
P.O. Box: 30443 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: 0800 720 601, (020) 2723255/56,
(020) 2714793/94, (020) 2722527
Fax: (020) 2714806
Fraud: firstname.lastname@example.org or (020) 2714803